What are Veneers and How the team at Dento Mak can help you Smile Again?
A porcelain veneer is a thin ceramic material that goes on the front surface of a tooth essentially like a false fingernail. A veneer is done over two separate appointments; at the first appointment the tooth surface is prepared, an impression is taken and a temporary veneer is placed. At the second visit the permanent porcelain veneer is tried in and then bonded to the tooth if satisfactory.
The Advantage of Veneers
There are many advantages to having a porcelain veneer placed.
- Veneers can help give you that wonderful white perfect smile you want
- Porcelain veneers have a resistance to staining from drinking coffee, tea, red wine and smoking. These factors can cause staining on natural teeth or composite resin restorations
- Veneers give a more natural appearance to the teeth than composite restorations
- The shade of the veneer can be made to match the patient’s natural teeth, as they are made at a lab, the shade can be made darker or lighter if required
- To a certain extent the shape and / or position of the teeth can be improved
Some Common points to be aware of when choosing Veneers as an option are
There are some disadvantages to having a porcelain veneer placed.
- The procedure for having porcelain veneers placed takes two visits. These visits can be 2-3 weeks apart from each other
- Whilst veneers are a solution for slight misalignment of teeth they are not a solution for treatment of overcrowding.
- Eating hard foods such as nuts and hard lollies may damage and or break the veneer.
It is also important to note that Oral care still needs to be maintained after having veneers placed. Oral hygiene is most important in maintaining the lifespan of veneers, brushing twice a day and flossing daily will help prolong the lifespan. Dento Mak Epping recommends having 6 monthly Preventive Care Appointments to help maintain the care of the veneers.
Call Our Professional team today for advice and an appointment